Friday 25 June 2010

Birthday Bags

As promised, here is what I have made my twin sisters for their 21st birthday...
From Birthday Bags

I am so pleased with how they have turned out, despite the fact I was still sewing them the morning of their birthday!
The black and yellow bag is from the Amy Butler Weekender Bag pattern. I bought this pattern ages ago and have been dying to make it but just hadn't found the right material. When I found the retro looking Malena fabric from Ikea I knew it would be absolutely perfect and it goes so well with the sunshine yellow trim, handles and lining.
From Amy Butler Weekender Bag

I never could have imagined how long this bag would take to make and how difficult parts of it were. There are so many layers to sew through and sewing piping round curved corners was a nightmare. I never broke a needle once though and it only started to blunt towards the end, I am so proud of my little sewing machine! I have already forgotten the pain of stabbing my self with pins several thousand times and can't wait to make this bag again, this time for myself. I just have to find the perfect fabric.

The nautical bag was a pattern design I drafted myself, using this gorgeous EZ Canvas Bag from Kinies as my inspiration. Although this was a simpler design than the Weekender Bag, working out the measurements and the design of the bag meant that it took just as long to make and is just as beautiful (if I do say so myself). I love this summery design and will definitely make it again (if I can remember how!)
From Birthday Bags

More pictures of the finished bags and the Amy Butler Weekender Bag in progress can be found on my Picasa page.

No comments:

Post a Comment