Monday 10 January 2011

New Year, New Materials, New Inspiration

I was spoiled this Christmas for amazing books and craft supplies. My list of books included Van Gogh, Hockney, Munch and Henry Moore's Sheep Sketchbook art reference books, Clare Youngs' Scandinavian Needlecraft and Rachel Allen "Bake". I have already baked the St. Stephen's Day "Christmas Pudding" muffins from the Rachel Allen book which were delicious!

I also got a set of Permaset Aqua fabric inks which I am so excited about! I have wanted to have a go at printing my own fabric for a while and now I am one step closer to being able to do it. I think I will try block printing first but I really want to get myself set up to do screenprinting.

Last but not least I got a free motion embroidery / quilting foot that I am dying to use! I have wanted to have a go at free motion machine embroidery for a while now and when it was featured on the latest series of Kirstie's Homemade Home that was it... I had to have one!! It will also come in very handy when I finally finish my first patchwork quilt.

While I was at my Mum's house for Christmas, I found my old kaleidoscope from when I was a kid. I'm not sure that I fully appreciated this toy as a child but I am absolutely mesmerised by it now! Everytime you turn it a brand new, never before seen pattern emerges in front of your eyes... This is my new favourite source of inspiration for pattern design. I also discovered I can take pictures through the eyepiece!!! I might make this into a feature... "Kaleidoscope Pattern of the Week".

From Kaleidoscope

No excuses for lack of crafts this year!! Plenty of materials and inspiration sources to keep me busy. I think I might start a pattern design inspriation sketch book (another New Years Resolution!)

No comments:

Post a Comment